The Abortion Care Education (ACE) Project
Most people assume that nurses have been thoroughly trained in all aspects of health care, from pediatrics to public health. Many folks are surprised to discover that few nursing education programs in the US and Canada include a comprehensive curriculum in sexual and reproductive healthcare (SRH). As RNs and advanced practice nurses provide a great deal of the sexual and reproductive health care services in this country, this lack of education is a huge problem for the nursing workforce and the populations they serve.
As a student, your voice is essential to changing this reality. If your school doesn’t teach the material you need to a comprehensively trained SRH provider, you can be the one to change that! One way to become an activist for improving SRH education is to lead an Abortion Care Education (ACE) Project elective or workshop series on your campus.
Organizing an ACE Project elective on your campus does three main things:
- Change Nursing Curriculum: Holding an elective tells your faculty, and nursing education nationally, that we DEMAND sexual and reproductive health content in our formal curriculum.
- Student Activism and Networking: Student activism is alive and well, and student leaders often see many networking and job opportunities as a result of getting involved in this work.
- Education and Training: You and your fellow students can access the education you need to become informed and competent providers of sexual and reproductive health nursing care.
Past participants have hosted ACE Projects at the University of Pennsylvania, Yale University, Columbia University, Rush University, University of Illinois, Chicago, University of New Mexico, and University of California, San Francisco, among others. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to organize an ACE Project elective or advocate for change on your campus this year! We’ll support you every step of the way.
A couple key points:
- The ACE Project is intended to be interprofessional. We highly encourage you to work with the Medical Students for Choice, if when how (formerly Law Students for Reproductive Justice), Planned Parenthood VOX, etc. chapter on your campus. We can put you in touch with these folks if you aren’t sure who to contact.
- NSSRH can send you supplies, help with funding, and provide suggestions for elective and workshop speakers in your area. Contact us at email@example.com